The office is positioned in Denby Buildings In Regent Grove opposite Leamington main Police Station (warwickshire justice centre) just off The Parade behind the Town Hall. (Our office is close to many of the other Leamington Spa Estate Agents and Letting Agents)
Wigwam® Leamington Spa Branch Telephone: 01926 887766
10 Denby Buildings Email: Leamington@WigwamOnline.com
We cover Leamington town and the Warwickshire villages that lie within a 15 mile radius of Leamington Spa
We offer Free no obligation Property appraisals (marketing valuations) and rental assessments. If you are considering renting or selling a property we would be pleased to give you advice.
WIGWAM® IS A REGISTERED TRADE MARK
This means only our company is allowed to trade under the name Wigwam for Estate Agency and Lettings
Royal Leamington Spa
Royal Leamington Spa is a medium-sized town in Warwickshire, in the heart of the English countryside. It has a fine georgian town centre and a spa in the Royal Pump Rooms. Leamington Spa also has one of the finest local shopping centre.
Leamington is one of a group of Warwickshire towns to the South-East of Birmingham. The others are Stratford-upon-Avon (birthplace of Shakespeare), Warwick (home to probably the finest castle in Britain) and Kenilworth (a smaller, more genteel, castle town). Ten miles to the north we have the city of Coventry. To the south we have the Cotswolds with attractive towns like Stow-on-the-Wold, Moreton-in-Marsh and Bourton-on-the-Water. Leamington Spa offers great commuting distances and transport links via Leamington railway station and the M40 motorway junction 13, 14 and 15 are all accessible providing links to London & Birmingham.
Leamington is a thriving town with a strong economy, a student population (many who attend nearby Warwick University) and a large number of pubs and restaurants.
In the summer, Leamington is normally amongst the leading contenders for the "Britain in Bloom" award with everything from the many parks to roundabouts and the fire station decked out with flowers. Its worth visiting in July/August/September just for that.
In short, Leamington is a good place to live and a good place to visit. If you're not here already, why not come and take a look?
Royal Leamington Spa History
Royal Leamington Spa, commonly known as Leamington Spa or Leamington or Leam to locals, is a spa town in central Warwickshire. Formerly known as Leamington Priors, its expansion began following the popularisation of the medicinal qualities of its water by Dr Kerr in 1784, and by Dr Lambe around 1797. During the 19th century, the town experienced one of the most rapid expansions in England. It is named after the River Leam which flows through the town.
Six electoral wards make up the urban town of Leamington Spa; Brunswick, Milverton, Manor, Crown, Clarendon and Willes. The estimated total population for those wards in 2008 was 39,940.
Early development of the Old Town centre was on the southern bank of the River Leam. Later builders began concentrating the town's expansion on the land north of the river, resulting in the Georgian centre of New Town with the Leam flowing between the two. In 1767 Parliament passed an Act, proposed by Edward Willes, a local landowner, for dividing and enclosing the open and common land on the south and west of the River Leam. Following a survey of the area by John Tomlinson in 1768, the land was estimated to be 990 acres and was subsequently divided, and new public roads were laid out. After the division on the south of the river most of the land east of the village was owned by the Willes family and to the west by Matthew Wise. To the north of the river most of the land was owned by the Willes family, the Earl of Warwick, and Bertie Greatheed. The main landholders of the village and adjacent land were the Earl of Aylesford, and a number of smaller landowners such as Lord Sharma. In the following decades some of the land was sold.
In 1814 the Royal Pump Rooms and Baths were opened close to the River Leam. This grand structure attracted many visitors, expecting cures by bathing in pools of salty spa water. It also included the world's first gravity fed piped hot water system in modern times, which was designed and installed by the engineer William Murdoch. Leamington became a popular spa resort attracting the wealthy and famous, and construction began of numerous Georgian townhouses to accommodate visitors, and a town hall was built in 1830. (Our Wigwam Leamington Spa Branch is located just behind the Town Hall)
With the spread of the town's popularity, Leamington was granted a "Royal" prefix in 1838 by Queen Victoria, who visited the town as a Princess in 1830 and as Queen in 1858. A statue of the queen was almost destroyed by a German bomb during World War II, and was moved one inch on its plinth by the blast. The statue was not returned to its original position, and the incident is recorded on a plaque on its plinth.
The function of the Royal Pump Rooms changed several times over the following years. While retaining its assembly rooms and medical facilities, around 1863 it was extended to include a turkish bath and swimming pool, in 1875 the Royal Pump Room Gardens were opened to the public, and in 1890 a further swimming pool was added. The economy of Leamington decreased towards the end of the 19th century following the decline in popularity of spa towns, and it became a popular place of residence for retired people and for members of the middle-class who relocated from Coventry and Birmingham, and wealthy residents led to the development of Leamington as a popular place for shopping. In 1997, the owners of the building, the district council, closed the facility for redevelopment, reopening it in 1999 as a culture centre. It now contains Leamington Spa Art Gallery & Museum, a library, a tourist information centre, refurbished assembly rooms and a cafe. Spa water can still be sampled outside the building.
Leamington is closely associated with the founding of lawn tennis. The first tennis club in the world was formed in 1872 by Major Henry Gem and Augurio Pereira who had started playing tennis in the garden of Pereira. It was located just behind the former Manor House Hotel and the modern rules of lawn tennis were drawn up in 1874 in Leamington Tennis Club.
During the Second World War, Leamington was home to the Free Czechoslovak Army; a memorial in the Jephson Gardens commemorates the bravery of Czechoslovak parachutists from Warwickshire.